Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I just got a very handy chunk of advice from an old friend. It was completely unexpected, and, oddly enough, she basically re-voiced an ideal I had gained and held during winter break. I had forgotten it since, but now that I've been reminded, I've realized something.

Love is not about clinging to someone. The emphasis is not about staying by their side through the drama, or about suffering for them. The emphasis is doing all this while remembering you love them. It's about loving them unconditionally and without expectation.

I lost touch with myself and with that newfound idea. And, as a result, I clung to Sarah mercilessly and expected so much, and, because of that, got my heart broken not once, but twice, and because of this same reason.

This talk with Kari put me on track. I'm seeing more clearly than I have been for the past month or so.

I love Sarah- that has never changed. But I've done a poor job of expressing it.

Now, back to being the real me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated hon. Life, as is love, is a journey where there is no end. You and I share the same path as does the rest of the world. The only individual thing is that we pick the colors of our own story. Keep the colors fresh and vivid and never forget that you are in control of you - not your emotions - not the things that scare you. Be active in "staying" with those feelings. You must get to know them like an old friend before you can truly expect to show them compassion.